Automotive Lighting (ADV)
BRO's Automotive Lighting Illumination Modeling tutorial concentrates on the application of BRO's ASAP Optical Software package to the development of automotive illumination systems. The tutorial gives participants the knowledge and skills needed to model the optical performance of automotive illumination systems that will most benefit their particular workflow. Participants will gain hands-on experience applying ASAP to different problems in automotive illumination through a series of practice sessions.
Basic knowledge about automotive lighting is not needed but is helpful. The course covers the simulation and analysis of automotive illumination systems based on the ASAP software program. Primary emphasis is placed on exterior lighting systems, however interior applications will also be discussed, including lightpipe designs. A brief introduction to the terminology, regulations, and underlying physics for automotive illumination is given.
The class addresses how best to use ASAP in each step of the automotive lighting design process, including feasibility, initial design, final design, tolerancing, and troubleshooting. Examples of actual lamp designs executed by BRO engineers are shown. Applications of sources from traditional incandescent to LED and HID sources are discussed. Additionally, as many automotive lighting users rely on internally developed programs to design their lighting systems, the tutorial covers the use of VBscript within ASAP to enhance the interaction between ASAP and external programs, as well as use of ASAP in batch mode.
- Completion of BRO's Introductory ASAP Tutorial or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Familiarity with a CAD package (Rhino3D® will be used during class)
Automotive Illumination Basics
- Review of relevant optical physics
- Review of photometry principles
- Review of regulations and testing methods
Automotive Illumination Design Process Using ASAP
- Source Modeling Review (Incandescent, LED and HID)
- Initial Design
- Final Design and Package Verification
Integrating ASAP Into Your Automotive Illumination Design Process
- Scripting Capabilities in ASAP for interfacing with external programs with particular emphasis on VBscript
- Using ASAP RabetP.exe in batch mode for enhanced interoperability with other programs
* If you are unsure that you meet these requirements, please speak with the instructor prior to enrolling in the class.
This Advanced Tutorial is a three-day course limited to 16 participants.